Dear Stamford Public Schools Junior Class Families:
I am excited to announce that the Stamford Public Schools will be implementing a Senior Internship Experience program for the spring of 2017.
The Senior Internship Experience (SIE) will take place from mid-May 2017 through the end of June 2017 for approximately five weeks (ending date subject to change based on graduation date). The SIE will provide various internship opportunities at different locations across the City of Stamford. This program will give students the opportunity to pursue their unique interests and passions outside the construct of their formal education program. In the fall, we will be hosting orientation meetings for students at all of the high schools. Information will be provided on Naviance and various mailings to clarify all dates and deadlines for the program.
In order to participate, seniors must meet the following prerequisites:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Teacher recommendation
- Successfully meet grade, attendance, and behavior requirements for both semesters 1 and 2 of senior year
- Have coverage of health and auto insurance (auto insurance if driving to, during, and from the internship site)
- Must not have failed or be in danger of failing any senior year course (this includes PE)
- Must be meeting all graduation requirements
- Endorsement from their parent or guardian
- Review and approval from the Guidance Counselor, Principal, and SIE Coordinator
Students who are approved to participate in the Senior Internship Experience will end their regular classes, after AP testing, and will have their grades finalized and classwork requirements ended as they transition to their internship sites full-time (30 hours per week). The internships effectively take the place of attending classes for the last five weeks of school. All internships are unpaid. Students will have a mentor on the job and a school faculty mentor who will monitor their progress throughout the internship.
I look forward to a successful program for our seniors. We will send out further details in the upcoming school year with information on how to apply. If you have specific program questions, please contact Michelle Lappas from the Mayor’s Youth Services Bureau at 203-977-0830.
Michael S. Fernandes, Ed.D
Assistant Superintendent - Secondary Schools